My World

Story updates, writing frustrations, and sim related things in general.




Between the Light and the Darkness Update

December 26, 2008

Tim takes a few minutes to fondly remember his dear friend, Gertie.

I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but I think we finally got my blogger freezing issue solved. Turns out I had some nasty malware on my computer.  So at least I can get on and update, and hopefully start getting some reading done.  

We're still working on my graphics issue.  We're thinking that when my hubby installed some more memory, the computer became more efficient than the graphic card, and it can't quite keep up.  Makes sense, since everything looks crisp and clear when I enter a lot, and 5-10 minutes later everything just 'fuzzes out'.  Sigh.  Hopefully soon, as I'm starting to get in a sort of panic mode about not being able to continue with my stories or start new ones.

Anyway, I'll shut up now and let you get on to chapter 21 - titled Fond Remembrance.  Not many of my chapters have titles, lol, something I'm hoping to one day change.

6 comments:

S.B. said...

Might be the computer, or might be the notorious TS2 blur.

I had that infamous blur for a long time and dealt with it by tweaking the settings in the graphics card. There's a thread on MTS2 with instructions, if you haven't tried it. If you want it, let me know.

and thank you for taking the time to read and leave comments on my work. I really appreciate it!

Astral Faery said...

I will certainly take you up on that! Everything is worth a shot and it's going to be awhile before I can update my graphics card. If this solution works, then I won't even need a new card and I'll be back in business again.

And you're very welcome. I truly enjoy yours and Gayl's stories, and regret that I haven't been around much. RL bites with three kids in elementary school, running people back and forth, babysitting, and the late nights (the babysitting kids stay until 2 a.m. so I try to nap on the couch) - I've just been so burned out I've been having difficulty getting anything done but vegging out and playing games!

But now with Christmas break, there's a lot less for me to do, and the babysitting kids aren't here at all this week. So I thought this would be a good time to get some progress made. I won't be able to catch up, but I can at least make a dent - especially for those who have been kind enough to support me!

S.B. said...

believe me, I know all about RL biting hard. no worries; we've got 2 years worth of stuff up there. It takes a while to go through the lot!

ok, here's the link to the thread I mentioned:

http://modthesims2.com/article.php?t=97876

it worked for me. maybe it will help.

Astral Faery said...

Well...I have good news and bad news.

The good news is - it worked! I had my game running for 2 hours and the graphics stayed crisp and stable. Hooray!

The bad news is that now gameplay is choppy and slow. I even tried to tweak several things ingame (turning off reflections and shadows, turning lighting to low) but it didn't make a difference.

So, I can still get through a photoshoot, but it will be rather agonizing - I'm happy I can at least do it. But playing is unsatisfying with the game dragging.

We're not done yet, though. Hubby is going to do some more computer tweaking and hopefully that will make a difference.

Thanks for the help, Beth!

S.B. said...

You've gone beyond my expertise with that problem. I had terrible problems with the ATI HD4870 graphics card that came installed with my new pc and had to buy an NVidia card to fix them.

Good luck...I spend an incredible amount of time resolving technical and gameplay issues, so you have my sympathy.

Astral Faery said...

More good news! Hubby did a minor tweak on my computer and we're good to go. Everything is running as it did before. The big lots still lag, but I'm fine with that. I spent all day in a photoshoot for WWC - about 7 hours total - and the graphics stayed crystal clear. It amazes me how beautiful some of the clothing is with the graphics up high.

Thank you so much, Beth, for pointing me to that tutorial - you're a lifesaver!!

 
Blogger Template "Pog Mo Thoin! (BW)" provided by Leah's BlogTemplates